Decided, since this forum helped me so much with this issue, to write somethign down incase it may help someone else. Big thanks to the people in chat that helped me through this process.
One of my four cories came down with fish fungus. A white cottony growth on the side of its body. I did not bother to identify it when I first noticed it as I used to give my fish some time to *heal* themselves before I do anything. Since this philosophy failed in this case this is what I did.
Started out as a small patch just behind the gill. Over the course of ~ 4 weeks it has spread to Ĺ his right side, a small spot on the left, and noticed it beginning on a 2nd cory. The cory continued to act normal and active. I was ready to add more fish to the tank, but since this cory wasnít getting better and it seemed to be spreading, I identified the fish as having fish fungus, which is contagious. Down to the fish store, purchased some Fungus Clear by Jungle at my lfs. Dosed the entire tank. (Heavily planted, 37gal, 5 fish, dirt/eco sub) This did nothing. I re-dosed again on day four (per directions on box), no visible improvement on day 3 of 2nd dose.
Ok, dosing Jungle to entire tank didnít work. Next step was daily large water changes and adding salt
. Since cories donít like salt
, it was recommended to Ĺ dose salt. Full dose salt is 1 tsp per gallon. Another concern I had was plants donít tolerate salt either. While most plant apparently donít mind the 1tsp/gallon, I certainly didnít want to kill my plants. So day 1 I ľ dosed the tank with salt with 50% water change. This was end of day 8 of treatment and no signs of fungus getting better.
While Iíve been doing all the above, I was also setting up a quarantine/hospital tank, and trying to cycle the sponge filter in another established tank. Then it was recommend that even though tank is not cycled, treatment of fish fungus is large daily water changes, cories should not see much stress due to water quality. Also, I was not looking forward to trying to catch 4 cories in a heavily planted tank! The last nail on the coffin was wife volunteered to catch the cories! Ok, Game on.
Took ~ 30 mins, and ~ 10 plants uprooted, but 4 cories are now in the hospital tank. With a Ĺ dose salt solution. (7tsp for 15 gallon tank) QT tank is 15gal, black sand sub, sponge air driven filter. This was done last night. This am, there was already a noticeable reduction of the fungus on the most infected cory. 3 were just calmly moving about on the bottom, and 1 was *spazíen* out. (swimming erratically darting about.)
I'll keep updating until Cories go back into a big tank.