I've had my black balloon Molly for about 3 weeks now. She was in my community 55 gal. She's appeared very healthy up until 3 days ago. She had eaten well that morning and very active. In a matter of hours, I noticed her lying on the bottom, breathing heavily. Then, when I looked closely, I saw what appeared to be pieces of cotton floating from her eyes and a bit on her mouth. There might have been another spot or two on her body, but if so, they were very small. All other fish were (and are) fine.
I realized this was probably fungus, and put her into my 10 gal. hospital tank, adding 1 teaspoon aquarium salt per gallon, Stresscoat, and set the tank to 84 degrees. I put used filter media from her established tank in the filter and a bit of debris from the bottom of the established tank. Floated her for a good half hour, putting a small amount of the new water in her cup every 10 minutes.
She perked up almost right away after being put in the hospital tank, and has not laid on the substrate since. She's very active, so I've decided that even when her fungus is gone, she'll stay in a brackish tank. I know the black mollies are very susceptible to things when kept in fresh
water, and I've already lost a Dalmation Molly that was in fresh
She's eating brine shrimp and flakes very well, like she's starving. I'm delighted she's doing so well, but I know how fast Mollies can go downhill again. I changed 50% of the water yesterday (replacing the salt for the amount I took out) and 2 gallons this morning.
I see very little white on her now. Her gills do appear white when she breathes, but I can't remember if that's normal for a black molly or not. Otherwise, that's the only white I can see on her now. She moves so fast its hard to get a good look at her!
I need to know if what I am doing for her is correct. How long should the temp stay at 84? Do I need to be doing daily water changes? Is the amount of salt correct? And most important, should I just "wait and see" at this point, or buy a fungal medication? I really don't want to treat her if its not necessary, for fear of it making her ill, but don't want to let it go either. If I need to treat her, what should I buy? She's only about half grown, by the way. Thanks so much for any input.