So tell me - Aquarium Forum
Tiki Hut All other posts go here. Jokes, travel stories, anything else you would like to chat about.

  Members currently in the chatroom: 0
Who's Online
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-12-2012.
No one is currently using the chat.

 6Likes
  • 1 Post By FishFlow
  • 1 Post By LizStreithorst
  • 1 Post By big b
  • 1 Post By majerah1
  • 2 Post By Summer
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
i need another tank.
 
big b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: georgia
Posts: 3,189
Thanks: 588
Thanked 576 Times in 512 Posts
Welcomes: 410
Welcomed 0 Times in 0 Posts
So tell me

My mom told me about her child hood a while back and it got me interested a bit in the past. Most of yall are older then me, so here is my question. Will you tell me a little about your past? Like your child hood? I want to know more about how it was to grow up in the past. I could google this but I want real experiences.

Quote:
lol now now, food is "healthy" at school now. Pigeon isn't healthy
if it's dry let it die,if it's wet make it a pet!!
big b is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:12 AM
On the wild side
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,132
Thanks: 364
Thanked 739 Times in 702 Posts
Welcomes: 2,358
Welcomed 32 Times in 2 Posts
Re: So tell me

I'm 29, not sure exactly what you want to know but i know my generation was out side a lot more than kids today
Summer is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Wild betta tamer
Super Moderator
 
majerah1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Easley,SC
Posts: 8,277
Thanks: 2,000
Thanked 3,327 Times in 2,640 Posts
Welcomes: 4,889
Welcomed 9 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to majerah1
Re: So tell me

When I was in grade school, My brother and I would walk to school together. it was about two blocks from my Nanaws house. Mom and dad had split up, so we were all three ( mom, my brother and I ) staying there. Mom worked with Nanaw at the sewing hall. They would leave right before we would and we would get home before they did. However back then ( 85 ish) it was not such a worry to let your children be home alone. We knew to lock doors, not talk to strangers ect, and we also would come do our homework then go play in the back yard. Military town of Lawton/ Ft Sill.

This made sneaking a stray in that much easier! This dog followed us home( led by out leftover school lunch!) and we already named him Benji. He looked just like the mutt from TV. We had two other dogs, who were both pups from a dachund we got in Germany when dad was stationed there.

Shortly after, say a few months? my dad who lived back in SC. decided he wanted us over for the summer. So he made plans with mom to come get us. During the weeks before, my mom would frequently get into it with my Nanaw, and I remember my moms heart breaking, as she was told that once we were out she had to leave as well, because she only had a home there with us. As sad as she was she never showed it to us, even when we left. My brother and I begged to bring the dogs, and dad complied, but we too the two pups from Penny, as Penny was his dog as well, and mom thought they were safe.

Dad lived with his new wife in a rental house on someones farm, so there was a pony, Johhny, as well as goats directly across from us. Rusty, the male pup had a habit of chasing the goats, and ended up getting bored in the side. We had to put him down. I will never forget the shot heard from the woods that evening, and dad taking my brother out to bury his dog.

Summer was coming to a close and one night after we were sent to bed, I could hear a conversation from my dad saying, he was not traveling to bring us back, that if mom wanted us and really loved us she would come pick us up. He also explained how he already enrolled us in the school system there, and that she need not worry about us. The next day my step mother had told us that clearly our mom didnt want us home because she told my dad she just couldn't do it. She had to have surgery on her hands from Carpal tunnel , and so she lost the job at the sewing hall, and was trying to make it as a bar tender. Three years passed of my brother and I being here in SC with my dad and his wife, who also had a child a little younger than us. We had to endure mind games of being told she could care less and never sent us cards or called us. All of which were lies of course. She did send cards and clothes. Every birthday and Christmas and Easter and even Thanksgiving cards would come and would have a dollar, or a five and a letter telling us how much she was so very proud of us and how much she loved us, and when she would call. These cards and letters hardly made it to us and the money never did.

So after three hard years, she finally had saved enough money, never told dad until the beginning of her trip ( its three days drive from OK to SC) but she did it. She came, and proudly stood in the doorway telling my dad and step mom that she was here for her kids. And we finally were able to go home.

In the time I was there with my stepmother, my self esteem was shattered, and I was never really allowed to go to other peoples houses. My dog ( Casey) whom I brought with me, was let off the chain and I was not allowed to look for her. I had fallen off my bike earlier, and broken my arm. Of which I was made to wait until the next day to have it checked out.

All of this, has made me a much stronger person. We had no internet, and was allowed TV for only a couple hours a day. Was locked outside so we would not be running in and out. It was also in this time that I would lose myself in artwork. Sitting and drawing for hours on end because the thought of being around such uncaring people was too much to handle when you are nine.

Now, It's not that dad didn't care for us, he just has a hard time showing it. He did love us, and he tried the best he knew how. In his mind, we were in a stable home, with a family who loved us and we had what we needed. However, his wife was not on board with that. Supper most nights consisted of a hot dog weenie over-boiled, and cold ketchup to the side, and boxed mac n cheese with overdone noodles and the powdered cheese haphazardly mixed into it. Dad worked hard, two jobs to support us. And he had no real idea of how we truly were being treated.

But yeah that's my childhood.

"I've macrostoma tastes on a veiltail budget. "

If i drew it it'd look like a monkey eating a horsradish on the moon or something
majerah1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:09 AM
On the wild side
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,132
Thanks: 364
Thanked 739 Times in 702 Posts
Welcomes: 2,358
Welcomed 32 Times in 2 Posts
Re: So tell me

:(
Summer is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:34 PM
 
FishFlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,064
Thanks: 30
Thanked 223 Times in 201 Posts
Welcomes: 34
Welcomed 19 Times in 1 Post
Re: So tell me

No such thing as the internet, or computers! :O TV had 4 channels. Had to walk to school, uphill, both ways, in the snow. :D
majerah1 likes this.
FishFlow is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 08:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 237
Thanks: 3
Thanked 92 Times in 74 Posts
Welcomes: 1
Welcomed 15 Times in 1 Post
Re: So tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by majerah1 View Post
When I was in grade school, My brother and I would walk to school together. it was about two blocks from my Nanaws house. Mom and dad had split up, so we were all three ( mom, my brother and I ) staying there. Mom worked with Nanaw at the sewing hall. They would leave right before we would and we would get home before they did. However back then ( 85 ish) it was not such a worry to let your children be home alone. We knew to lock doors, not talk to strangers ect, and we also would come do our homework then go play in the back yard. Military town of Lawton/ Ft Sill.

This made sneaking a stray in that much easier! This dog followed us home( led by out leftover school lunch!) and we already named him Benji. He looked just like the mutt from TV. We had two other dogs, who were both pups from a dachund we got in Germany when dad was stationed there.

Shortly after, say a few months? my dad who lived back in SC. decided he wanted us over for the summer. So he made plans with mom to come get us. During the weeks before, my mom would frequently get into it with my Nanaw, and I remember my moms heart breaking, as she was told that once we were out she had to leave as well, because she only had a home there with us. As sad as she was she never showed it to us, even when we left. My brother and I begged to bring the dogs, and dad complied, but we too the two pups from Penny, as Penny was his dog as well, and mom thought they were safe.

Dad lived with his new wife in a rental house on someones farm, so there was a pony, Johhny, as well as goats directly across from us. Rusty, the male pup had a habit of chasing the goats, and ended up getting bored in the side. We had to put him down. I will never forget the shot heard from the woods that evening, and dad taking my brother out to bury his dog.

Summer was coming to a close and one night after we were sent to bed, I could hear a conversation from my dad saying, he was not traveling to bring us back, that if mom wanted us and really loved us she would come pick us up. He also explained how he already enrolled us in the school system there, and that she need not worry about us. The next day my step mother had told us that clearly our mom didnt want us home because she told my dad she just couldn't do it. She had to have surgery on her hands from Carpal tunnel , and so she lost the job at the sewing hall, and was trying to make it as a bar tender. Three years passed of my brother and I being here in SC with my dad and his wife, who also had a child a little younger than us. We had to endure mind games of being told she could care less and never sent us cards or called us. All of which were lies of course. She did send cards and clothes. Every birthday and Christmas and Easter and even Thanksgiving cards would come and would have a dollar, or a five and a letter telling us how much she was so very proud of us and how much she loved us, and when she would call. These cards and letters hardly made it to us and the money never did.

So after three hard years, she finally had saved enough money, never told dad until the beginning of her trip ( its three days drive from OK to SC) but she did it. She came, and proudly stood in the doorway telling my dad and step mom that she was here for her kids. And we finally were able to go home.

In the time I was there with my stepmother, my self esteem was shattered, and I was never really allowed to go to other peoples houses. My dog ( Casey) whom I brought with me, was let off the chain and I was not allowed to look for her. I had fallen off my bike earlier, and broken my arm. Of which I was made to wait until the next day to have it checked out.

All of this, has made me a much stronger person. We had no internet, and was allowed TV for only a couple hours a day. Was locked outside so we would not be running in and out. It was also in this time that I would lose myself in artwork. Sitting and drawing for hours on end because the thought of being around such uncaring people was too much to handle when you are nine.

Now, It's not that dad didn't care for us, he just has a hard time showing it. He did love us, and he tried the best he knew how. In his mind, we were in a stable home, with a family who loved us and we had what we needed. However, his wife was not on board with that. Supper most nights consisted of a hot dog weenie over-boiled, and cold ketchup to the side, and boxed mac n cheese with overdone noodles and the powdered cheese haphazardly mixed into it. Dad worked hard, two jobs to support us. And he had no real idea of how we truly were being treated.

But yeah that's my childhood.
Mine wasn't great but it was better than yours. The thing we have in common is we both have learned that the hard stuff makes us stronger.
majerah1 likes this.
LizStreithorst is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
i need another tank.
 
big b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: georgia
Posts: 3,189
Thanks: 588
Thanked 576 Times in 512 Posts
Welcomes: 410
Welcomed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: So tell me

Wow Bev, your life sounds like it should be in a book. It was a bit sad but your mother over came some obstacles to prove her love for yall.
majerah1 likes this.

Quote:
lol now now, food is "healthy" at school now. Pigeon isn't healthy
if it's dry let it die,if it's wet make it a pet!!
big b is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
i need another tank.
 
big b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: georgia
Posts: 3,189
Thanks: 588
Thanked 576 Times in 512 Posts
Welcomes: 410
Welcomed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: So tell me

Thanks for sharing yall .

Quote:
lol now now, food is "healthy" at school now. Pigeon isn't healthy
if it's dry let it die,if it's wet make it a pet!!
big b is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Wild betta tamer
Super Moderator
 
majerah1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Easley,SC
Posts: 8,277
Thanks: 2,000
Thanked 3,327 Times in 2,640 Posts
Welcomes: 4,889
Welcomed 9 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to majerah1
Re: So tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by big b View Post
Wow Bev, your life sounds like it should be in a book. It was a bit sad but your mother over came some obstacles to prove her love for yall.
Yup! One thing I learned from her, and she from my Great Grandmother, is when someone breaks your heart, don't let them see you cry! Never give them that victory too.

My mom is amazing, and I appreciate her. My dad is a wonderful man too, given his past, he does well enough. He is stubborn though and that is slowly killing him. He has pushed so many people away. I refuse to let him push me away though! See, I am a stubborn person. Quiet, respectful and try my very best to be kind to everyone, no matter what. But I am stubborn :D
vreugy likes this.

"I've macrostoma tastes on a veiltail budget. "

If i drew it it'd look like a monkey eating a horsradish on the moon or something
majerah1 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 10:04 PM
On the wild side
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,132
Thanks: 364
Thanked 739 Times in 702 Posts
Welcomes: 2,358
Welcomed 32 Times in 2 Posts
Re: So tell me

Now that I have two free hands, here's a bit more. I don't have anything overly exciting, dramatic, or anything but here it is.

So I had an average childhood, for the most part. However, when I was 3 I became a big sister to a very sick lil bro. He was born with a backwards heart, missing a valve, and had multiple holes in it. He underwent so many surgeries in the first years of his life, and since we live in a small town, they were all done at Children's hospital in pittsburgh. This meant for me from the time I was 3-6 I was bounced around to grandparents and aunts who could take care of me for weeks on end while my parents were hours away watching my lil bro fight for his life. Thankfully, he survived and the remainder of our childhood was pretty normal. We were lower income, but our parents made sure we always had what we needed, and a lot of what we wanted to. I met my husband when I was 14, and we dated for the entirety of my high school education. Moved in together right after I graduated and had our first child when I was 19.

So yea...nothing terribly exciting but its my life
majerah1 and vreugy like this.
Summer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Aquarium Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome