Aquarium Forum banner

Mbuna Startup

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  StevenT 
#1 ·
Hello all... I am planning on starting up a 55G Mbuna tank. I have everything I need with the exception of what mix of cichlids would make for an interesting, but peaceful (by Mbuna standards) tank.

Any suggestions on what types would go well together?

Demasoni? Yellow Labs? Socolofi? Zebras? Johanni?Sprengerae (Rusty)? Elongatus Chewere?

Also, I would really like to get one Tretocephalus to add to the mix. I've heard this can be done... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, is it better to get a mix of them as juvies or more as adult fish? I kinda want to take a shot at breeding them, but it's not a necessity.

Where should I begin?

#2 ·
Yellow labs and rustys would be your best bet. If you wanted more color then saulosi with rusties looks great. Don't put zebras with yellow labs because of cross breeding. Socolofi can be very aggressive and have a habit of hyper dominance. Johanis should be in nothing smaller then a four foot 75 gallon tank. Demasonis are my favorite fish but they are aggressive, start with a dozen at least 20 being better and expect losses.
Tretocephalus can be kept but you will lose all of your fry or the vast majority at least.
Best to get all the fish at once and all juveniles.

#7 · (Edited)
Ok... so that's definitely a no to the Yellow Labs and Red Zebras together and a no to the Crabro.... What about a bumblebee cichlid or are the stripes too similar to those of the Demasoni regardless of color? Also, would the Daktari mix with the Zebras? Finally, you mentioned the Saulosi would go well with the Rusties... is there a website you recommend purchasing them from?

Thanks again for all your help dalfed!

#8 ·
Bumblebee Cichlid bumblebee is just another name for crabro. Daktari is a hap cichlid and zebra is a mbuna , the problem with keeping these together is feeding. Haps need a high protein diet Mbuna need a vegetarian diet. There are exceptions but for the most part that is the way. Once you have decided read everything you can find on the species (remember that the internet is not always accurate so majority rules lol). I know of a great site in Canada, where are you located.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.