Aquarium Forum banner

Can I use this substrate in my Discus tank ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

Can I use thi substrate in a Discus tank ?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  discusbreeder 
#1 ·

I have purchased this substrate & it has cost me quite a lot. Now, I have decided to keep Discus. Can I use this substrate ?

See less See more
#6 ·
If you get young discus you should change water at least every other day or their growth will be stunted.As adult they will be so large that you really should continue to do the same.Most average WELL over 50% some up to 90%.
Fed properly(up to 6 times aday) they are fairly messy fish which beside their need for exceptional quality water will necessatate the frquent water changes.
In order to change so much water you will need to pre warm and dechlorinate large volumes all the time.
I have 64 gallons of conditioned water (I do use tap)all the time and can have each of the 32 gallon storage containers up to temp in aprox 4 hours as I have 2 heaters and a power head in each container.I also have 44 gallons of RO/DI on hand for my breeding tank.My RO/DI produces aprox 75 gallons a day.
I don't know about your substrate, but many discus keepers keep bare bottom tanks as they are easier to keep clean.

#9 ·
SUBSTRATE QUESTION DEMANDS QUALIFICATION. A shallow layer, no more than half an inch of most any substrate can be used. More depth becomes a cleaning problem. The reason most discus keepers are negative to substrate is contaminant control. As long as you organize things where you can maintain them a substrate is ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.