Aquarium Forum banner

Most Beautiful Cold Water Fish...

18K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  henningc 
#1 ·
What do you think is the most beautiful breed of cold water fish ?

In my opinion, it is the Oranda.

Below is a picture of my beautiful large Oranda, isn't she so graceful ?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Just a few of my own favorites.

Reactions: Arthur7
#10 ·
I can't offer great pictures, but I would vote for the rainbow darter or the orangethroat darter (okay, almost any of the dozens of North American Etheostoma darters!), the pygmy sunfish dirtydutch showed us, Aphanius mento killies, white cloud minnows, paradise fish (really nice in a pond, right up to the ice) and the red-bellied dace I catch here in Canada, behind beaver dams. I wish I had had a decent camera when I used to keep dace - what a fish.

jmurray has a really nice oranda there. They aren't my cup of tea, but that is a nice one.

#13 ·
Giant danios are another nice fish that can take cooler water. Just started keeping these within the last few months..they're very hardy, only get to about 4" in an aquarium (need a longer tank for better swimming room), and school together beautifully. They are constantly on the move and extremely hard to catch and photograph though! LOL

#19 ·
My vote would be the Rainbow Shiner, a north american native. Wish I could keep them, but it's not to be for the time being.

Reactions: evanb and Arthur7
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.